Friday, April 6, 2007

Confessions of a Model Home Addict

It started about 30 years ago. There was a development of new houses being built and "Model Homes" were advertised. I went to look - being newly married and on a limited budget they were out of my price range but it was FREE to LOOK.

Well I got hooked. Walking through the rooms with new furniture and appliances, expertly decorated - I could pretend I lived there - at least for a little while.

But then I had to go back to my small, old house - what a come down.

But then the following week, I'd go again . I'd watch for ads for new Models in other areas. I thought that was the greatest past time. It was amazing how the different combinations of furniture and accessories and colors could totally change the "feel" of an otherwise humdrum "box"(my terminology for the stripped down empty house).

Sometimes I'd copy the decorating ideas I'd seen. Of course a much more limited version.

I'd try to hook my family members into going "model home shopping" but they didn't seem to find it enjoyable and often rebelled. But I was addicted. I could not stand to see a "Model Home" sign without feeling the urge to go and look.

Even today, so many years later, I still salivate at the sight of a "Model Home" sign and I'll even stoop to lying that I'm interested in buying one and giving a false name and address when asked - just to get to LOOK!!

Rosemarie Zera
The Model Home Addict






No comments: