SIZE DOES MATTER !
Before starting any decorating project
Having the correct measurements will save you TIME, MONEY and DISAPPOINTMENT.
Nothing is worse than getting into a project and finding you didn't get enough of the materials (paint, carpet, fabric, etc) to complete the job and having to stop and get more - or WORSE finding out it's been discontinued or out of stock!
Or the stuff doesn't fit the place you're putting it, or you can't open or close a door, or it blocks the only window in the room, or you can't get it into the room. Are you getting the idea?
It only takes a few minutes and an inexpensive measuring tape to avoid those and other problems.
When measuring, there are a few things to remember:
- Get accurate numbers - For large areas, have someone help by holding one end of the measuring tape
- Take note of any door openings. You have to allow for clearance of door swings
- Take note of window heights. measure from floor to window bottom .
- If there are any furniture items already in the room, measure them.
- Measure floor to ceiling - as well as corner to corner for projects involving painting or wallpapering.
- In addition to writing down the measurements, it helps to sketch the area, noting any architectural items: windows, doors, built-ins.
- When measuring for window treatments, Measure the inside window opening and the whole window including the surrounding molding.
- Note the doorway opening (height and width) to be sure large or odd shaped items can be brought in.
Good luck with your project!
The Model Home Addict
If you'd like to learn more about Decorating and make your Home look really WOW! Check out:
"The Secrets to Home Decorating Success"